Saturday, September 13, 2008

Idiot Faustus

I think it’s funny how Faustus keeps going back and forth with himself. He seems to get a glimpse of good and begins to argue with himself if there is a chance for him to repent or if he’s clearly damned no matter what. Even though he goes back and forth with himself, he always makes the same decision that there he is damned. Even if he doesn’t say, “I’m damned” he sticks with the Devils.
With this, I think Faustus is a fool. I can’t see him as a “tragic hero”. To me tragic heroes do great things without really knowing about it or do great things but no one knows it or his flaws are greater than his heroic acts. Hamlet to me is the absolute greatest tragic hero. He is trying to get revenge on his father, a great thing to do, but becomes crazy on the way which is his flaw. Everyone sees how crazy he is and doesn’t see or know that Hamlet wants revenge for his father’s death. Faustus, he does no great deeds. He does idiotic pranks when he has such great power in his hands. He doesn’t try to change. Yes he argues with himself, but he doesn’t really try his hand in goodness. If Faustus tries, at least once, to do good acts, to repent, and whatnot, I would say Faustus then would be a tragic hero. He doesn’t even try and in that I call Faustus a fool more than anything.
I really do not like Faustus. I can only pity him because he’s stupid and he is human. But even regular humans will listen to an old man telling him you still have a chance. Why not take a chance? Faustus took a chance with the Devils, why will he not take a chance with the Angels? Instead, after the Old Man speaks with Faustus, Faustus sins and goes off with Helen. WHAT?! Idiot! That was all I was able to say when reading the last scene. He deserved to be damned and like the Old Man said, laughed at.

No comments: