Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Paradise Lost's Satan

Lucifer is seen as the hero in Paradise Lost. Even when I’m reading Satan’s first speech, I feel sorry for him and listen to every word he says, believing he could win. Then after the speech is finish, I think, oh wait, he’s the bad guy.
In class we talked about how movies, the underdog is who the audience roots for. I can see this as a movie where Satan is a solider. I see him standing on a chair or on a mound in the middle of the field giving this very heroic speech. The fallen angels are the townspeople listening to this strong soldier who’s telling them to revolt. In Paradise Lost, God is described as something like the king. To me this mean that everyone is only follow the “king” because they have no choice. Lucifer is the solider giving the people a choice.
As I read and seeing Lucifer as the hero, it actually makes me wonder why Milton would do this. It completely surprised me when I was told that Milton was a puritan. I first thought he was an atheist. But as I look closer to the text and thought about it, maybe this was Milton’s intention. Satan is suppose to be the best tempter in the and using words to make him seem human, to make people feel sorry for him, to make us root for him makes us like him. Milton uses words to make God seem very intangible. God is “All Might” and “Most High”. We can’t relate to God but we can relate to Satan which makes Satan the tempter.

No comments: